Sunday, January 12, 2014

Blanche


This beautiful post was written by my mom. As she read it to me, tears streamed down my face. In all of my 36 years I have never heard her say so much about her mom. We have always know how tender the subject of the death of her mom was.  She really cannot mention her name without getting teary eyed. Even my sweet Grandpa, although proposed to by several of his lady friends, never could remarry because of the deep love he had for my Grandma. I have heard little stories about my Grandma here and there but never has my mom spoken so freely of this amazing woman.  I cannot wait for the day that I will get to meet my Grandma Blanche Richards Valle. 

            I don't think there is anyone who's life has not been touched by cancer. Mine certainly has. When I was 16 my mother, Blache Richards Valle, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer was not talked about then.  Fifty years ago there were no early detection or preventative mammograms that I recall. My mom fought the brutal cancer war for five years. My mom was my WORLD. She was my best friend, greatest cheerleader and most wonderful woman God ever created. My brother Tom and I were blessed to have her for a mother.  Surely, he would not take her from us, especially me, because I could NOT live without her! She never thought she was special, but she was much more that that. She was an unbelievable cook, baker, seamstress, knitter, second grade school teacher, wife and friend in the world. God would not take this woman from our family, would He? My father said,"No, He wouldn't!"  As sick as I knew she was, my dad said she would get better. Because I wanted to believe it so much, I did. But two weeks after I became engaged to Gary, she died on August 26, 1968. It was as if she held on long enough to know that I would be OK before she let go and ended her suffering. Gary and I were married four months later on December 13, 1968.  Gary didn't know my mom but has always spoken of her with a sweet reverence and respect.  I have often realized how unusual this is considering he did not ever know her when she was close to being well. I have loved him for that.  So, she died and I didn't really have a choice but to "live" without her. But how? No mother at my wedding, no one to ask for advise, no one to teach me how to make homemade rolls, no one to cry to after 3 years of infertiliy. No mom to say, "it will be ok" or "I promise" as only a mom can. Or as she would have! But the most heart breaking of all to me was no "grandma" when blessings from heaven arrived. After 45 years, I still grieve the loss of my beloved mother. To this day, I cannot talk about her without crying. It's crazy. But I lived and as I look back at my life I know she has been by my side. I have never had a vision of her or heard her voice out loud,  but her spirit has wispered to me through the Holy Ghost, all my life. I think it has taken me many, many years to recognize that. Even though she has not been here physically, her influence and great love have always, always been with me.
Love,
Irene

3 comments:

  1. Irene ~ One of my favorite quotes is: "My identity rests firmly in one fact; I am my mother's daughter." You are...and you are a tribute to her life and her memory. Thank you for sharing. Love you, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. RENI,
    As extended family, I have fond memories of always being welcome in your home and feeling loved and valued by my Aunt BLANCHE. I also remember her homemade rolls - which I'm certain I O.D.ed on at Thanksgiving dinners! We are blessed to be FAMILY and we missed you and GARY at our Christmas get-together recently.

    Although so very challenging, I hope your cancer experience so far is strengthening your FAITH. And I would just bet that you are feeling an intensity of LOVE from family and friends that is so elusive in our normal everyday lives. I envy you THAT as one of the trade-offs to the trials you are living thru.

    I thank AMANDA for this blog and will be following your progress here!
    LUVS from CHRISTENA (& BILL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute, from a wonderful daughter! I remember Aunt Blanche. She was beautiful, kind, and loving. There was always such a warm happy spirit in she and Uncle Tom's home! I have no doubt that she is watching over you all.

    ReplyDelete