Tuesday, January 21, 2014

True Beauty






Well, it's happened. Chemo has leashed it's nasty claws deep into my moms body. The effects are everywhere from severe sickness, dry mouth, sores and hair falling out. This cancer is a wicked beast but my mom is still handling it with courage and strength. Last night Amanda and I helped her shave her head.  My mom shed just a few tears, she was stronger than us, she was the one who kept us positive. But in the end, she looks beautiful.  Sometimes in this crazy world it's so easy to forget ones true beauty.  When you are with someone who's body is tired and weak, their true beauty and spirit are easily recognizable. My mom is amazing, beautiful and a woman I admire and hope to be like one day.

She was very worried about how she would look with her new doo so I took some pictures and broght them home to my kids.  Oliver was thrilled beyond belief because I told him that he could shave his head to match Grandmas.  His exact words were "bou ya, now I can shave my head."  Then the true test came and I showed the picture to Charlotte, my 2 year old. I handed her the picture and immediately she brushed her hand on it and said "hi, grandma" she had been walking around carrying it all morning talking to grandma.  She passed the ultimate test, we all know kids don't lie, they tell the honest truth. You are still you mom!

While we were on our walk, we passed a new patient being admitted to the 8th floor.  My mom and I talked about how it was 2 1/2 weeks ago that she was the new patient.  When she first arrived the doctors said that without treatment she had about 2 weeks to live.  Mom, the treatment is working, it horrible and hard, but this treatment has given me, and all us 2 1/2 weeks with you. 
Even though this cancer is effecting my moms entire body, she is still my mom, an amazing, beautiful and strong woman. We can do this mom, there 14 little blessings waiting to see you again.


4 comments:

  1. This does bring out your true beauty Irene!

    We love you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! So proud that this amazing woman is MY mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom you have never looked more beautiful! I am so proud of you. So lucky to be your daughter.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete