Friday, January 17, 2014

Popcorn

Due to my sisters illness, I had the opportunity to leave all of the craziness of life behind and visit a place that has become somewhat of a sanctuary.  I got to go visit my mom in her peaceful hospital room and spend the evening talking with her, helping her and feeling the spirit that dwells within her room.  I never thought I would look forward to spending my evenings in a hospital room, yet I do, and it has become a place that I enjoy visiting.  I do however leave my crazy brood of children at home and actually have the chance to visit without being interrupt; something that is a rare occasion for any mother and I am sure adds to my excitement when I leave.  I walked into her room with a bag of freshly popped popcorn, one of my moms favorite treats.  I don't think there has ever been a time that we have visited grandma's house without a bag of popcorn being popped.

Our visit was long and quiet.  Sometimes mom closes her eyes and rests for a bit but always seems happy when she wakes up that I am still there.  The effects of chemo are beginning to take a toll on her body.  She is not feeling well,  her feet are extremely swollen, she has some itchy rashes and often feels cold.  As my dad said "If it gets any warmer in this room, I may need to start wearing a swimsuit."  I, on the other hand quite enjoy the warmth of her room during these cold January nights.  Her platelets are at what they think may be one of there low points so they are giving her body a few days rest until her next chemo.

We spent a long time looking at a catalogue of wigs.  This is not something that she needs just yet but you can never be to prepared for the twists and turns of life.  I myself had no idea there were so many options when it came to wigs.  There are so many styles and colors, so many under caps for added comfort and so many soft beenies.   I circled a few that were long, red and curly but I think she may go for a little more conservative approach.  We will see if she listens to my opinion, afterall she did deem me the best patient shopper, a challenge I accepted with honor.

She is fighting this thing with all she has.  Her doctors are pleased with the way she is responding to the chemo, yet there is still a very long road ahead. She is so appreciative of everything everyone has done for her and my dad.  I myself cannot wait until I can give her a hug, there is to great a risk for germs so for awhile "I love you will have to do."

1 comment:

  1. Sweet post, Liza. Thinking of you and your family, and sending our love.

    ReplyDelete