Sunday, January 5, 2014

Finding out your mom has cancer is the worst. I am trying to find the words to adequately describe the pain, anger, and sorrow we all feel but I cant. It is too much, too great. But what I can do is tell you that MY MOM is BRAVE, she is STRONG, and she CAN DO THIS.
If anybody can do this its her.
Irene has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. It is the most common type of cancer in children but it is extremely rare in adults. In the entire united states there are only about 3000 adults with ALL, and since 2006 only about 80 adults in Utah have been treated for it. In children ALL has a 90% success rate. Amazing right? In Adults its around 70%.  Why the difference? For some reason children respond better to treatment. But we are truly blessed to live in a state where my mom can be a part of the Dana-Farber study. She is 1 of 30 people in the country, and she is number 30. These doctors have devoted their lives to finding a cure. We are so blessed. She has 7 doctors diligently caring for her. Treatment begins Monday January 6th. It is aggressive and hard, but SHE CAN DO THIS.
Thank you so much for all of your prayers, calls, texts, etc. It gives my mom and dad strength, and we love you for it.
"Strength isn't something you have. It is something God helps you find. And usually you have to find it one day at a time"
Love,
Amanda 

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have such a positive attitude! You always do, and I love you for it. We are praying for Irene, and know our Heavenly Father will be watching over her. As I sat in YW yesterday listening to our lesson about Christ I couldn't help but think of your family and how I know you can all get through this through Christ who strengthens us! He knows our pains and our sorrows, and will not leave us comfortless. I love you all like my own family. With all my heart I am praying! Love you Mand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that comment was me, not KC ;) but he sends the same wishes and love ;) -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart broke when I heard the news. Speaking from experience, cancer is the pitts!!
    It sounds like she is in good hands though and I know that many people are praying and fasting for her, as well as for your entire family. How blessed we are to live so close to great cancer resources and for the knowledge of the gospel in our lives. We love you and will be fighting by your side the entire way!
    -Trisha Jordan ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this Amanda. If you need anything at all please let me know! Even if it having your kids come play for a afternoon I would love to see them and you! Love you and we will keep your family in our prayers!
    Lyndsie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Through Christ we are able to overcome all things. Even if it seems too hard to handle. I can't imagine what you guys are going through. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!!! - Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jordan Family has signed up for 'TEAM IRENE' !!! Whatever we can do we're here to love, pray, and support. May the good Lord bless Reni, Gary, and the whole family to get through this tough time, and yet be able to see the blessings that will accompany the trial. Much love, Virg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Irene,
    Amanda is right! You are Brave and Strong and You Can Do This! Love you and your family. Sharon Snyder

    ReplyDelete