Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday

Today is Saturday.  I know that weekends at the hospital are quiet and a little boring.  I thought it might be nice if I took my daughter Hailey with me to see mom.  Hailey has been so worried about her grandma and really wanted to visit. When we walked in the room I could tell that mom wasn't feeling too great. She has started having some reactions to her chemo.  Body aches, fever, peeling skin and swelling especially in her feet.  Even though I know she feels awful, she always greets me with a smile.  Selfishly I wanted to talk to mom about my week and ask her advice on some of my day to day challenges.  We went for a walk around the unit but I could tell that she just didn't have much energy.  According to the nurses, the fact that mom is having reactions to the medication is good.  This means that they are working, and her body is starting to produce the good red blood cells that she needs to survive.  As awful as cancer is, I am grateful that mom is in such an amazing hospital.  The doctors and nurses are wonderful, and I know that they are taking great care of her.  Even though our visit was short, I am grateful that I was able to see her.  I am starting to realize what a long road lies ahead for mom.  It makes me sad.

Love, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment