Monday, January 13, 2014

Cheerleaders


Anyone who has dealt with the big "C" would have to say that cancer sucks! I don't think that there is a better way to phrase such a statement.  Yet we are so blessed to live so close to amazing hospitals, particularly the 8th floor of the hospital that deals specifically with Leukemia. The nurses are so amazing. They are almost like extended family. Coincidentally there are quite a few named Lindsay or Whitney so it's pretty easy to take a wild guess at their name. Those dear nurses laugh and talk with us like they are one of the sisters. One even said she wanted to hang out with us all night because we were so cool, that made me feel good, to know that someone thought I was cool.  We talk about interesting subjects ranging from Downton Abby to Juan Pablo. They explain the various bags hanging from my moms latest pole accessory, like the orange juice looking substance feeding into her arm which are really blood platelets. They answer endless questions, get anything we need and calm our fears.  They share in the little steps and cheer on the small victories.  They are my moms cheerleaders, little angels who are always there even when we can't be, they are amazing. At the main nurses station they have lined up all of the beautiful flower arrangements that are not allowed in my moms room. They place them there so that on the walks the patients can have something pretty to look at. I commented last time I was there that maybe they could get enough flowers to hide the Christmas tree, I think they understood this time and the tree has since left the premises.  We are still working on the lights.  Today was a pretty good day.  She was in good spirits and excited to see her grandson. He thought the hospital was super cool, after walking away with candy and a milkshake.  We were able to find some shoes that fit her swollen feet, and took them out for a test walk.  My mom is fighting this battle with great strength. I admire her and love our visits. Her room is so peaceful and calm, it is a place that oddly enough brings me comfort. Although the big "c" really does suck, I myself have already felt some amazing blessings through this trial and am so touched by all of my moms cheerleaders.
Liza
Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. LIZA,
    I have a tiny bit of understanding of what you are experiencing with your Mom's "Cheerleaders"!
    My best friend here in our neighborhood recently went thru 2 years of Breast Cancer treatments.... both Chemo & Radiation. It was my privilege to take her to some of those treatments at the SL Regional Hospital, as she has no family in town. It was quite amazing to me how those nurses can love and care and administer those medications on a daily basis! I don't think I could ever do it. I'm sure it takes a special dedication in that medical discipline to do so!
    I know that you Mother is in the hands of many wonderful Care-givers.... including the Lord, Himself! And she is blessed to have loving daughters.... like Yourself!
    STAY STRONG, CHRISTENA CHRISTENSEN

    ReplyDelete